Thursday, October 1, 2009

Samoan Houses



















I recently went on a six day trip to Samoa. With my colour resource in mind, I was more than pleasantly surprised at the variety of amazingly coloured houses that lined the roads! Pastels, brights... it seemed that using only neutral colours would have been a high crime against the Samoan way of life!

I still can't quite put my finger on the fixation with (in particular) pastel colours. A lot of their traditional art, material etc uses very bright colours, but not pastels. I'm taking a wild guess and saying, perhaps pastels were all they had at the paint store! Samoa is a small place and many things aren't readily available. But obviously, pastel exterior paint is in bountiful supply.

The most striking combination that caught my eye was the light green and light purple together, reminding me of a delicious peppermint candy or pretty little flower. The people and the culture over there are so relaxed and vibrant, no wonder they like to have houses that bring these types of thoughts to mind!

1 comment:

  1. was actually searching for some opinion about Jung and Freud, and for some reason, your blog showed. Anyway, the photos of the pastels resemble a final lunge at happiness in terms of the lack of "brightening" needed for the natural environment...Kind of "Betty Blue" if you will. Don't mean to be negative, but it all seems a bit bi-polar from the outside.

    ReplyDelete